Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Getting Ready for the Journey

I can't believe how fast time is flying. I can't believe what's coming!
   A year of service in San Antonio!

     Naturally, there is a sense of nervousness about this year ahead, but mostly, I feel anticipation for... well a lot, actually. Maybe a list will be easier to express it all!

  1. First of all, I've never lived outside of Florida, or even visited Texas, so my time spent here will be one of very unique experiences. There is something fantastic about the fact that just about everything I experience will be something new, that I will have a completely different community of people to encounter and rely on, and to do it by myself will be an adventure all of its own!
  2. I'm also REALLY looking forward to living in a community where the majority of people speak Spanish! I only have one thing on my bucket list and it is to be fluent in Spanish before I leave this Earth, so living in San Antonio has the potential to do a lot for this goal of mine. The church I will be apart of has one bilingual service and one that is completely in Spanish. Each Young Adult Volunteer will also be paired with a "host family" to help you get acclimated with the area and hang out with you, who I imagine will be able to aid me in my quest.
  3. The work I will be doing there will be such a large part of my time, and I am pleased to say that both jobs I am tasked with upon arrival are both interests of mine. The MEYO program mentors, tutors, and cares for children in the area. I have always loved caring for children, and from what I've heard about this program, MEYO is doing amazing work in the community. I will also be taking part in the music program at the Divine Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Music has been a passion for my entire life, and to share this part of me with my new congregation, will be such a gift. (Plus, we'll likely be singing songs in Spanish, which will be one more step to my previously mentioned goal.)
  4. Finally, the last thing I'm excited about: Sure, it's implied that we will be working here to make a difference in the community surrounding us, which will be wonderful and needed, but know that I'm not naive enough to think that these people will be the only ones changed. I look forward to the what this experience will teach me about myself. I'm interested to find what I come to know as truth based on the things I witness in San Antonio. I will come out of this year with a new perspective, and it'll be interesting to know what I come to learn.
This list could be so much longer, but I just wanted to hit on the important things. I can't wait to start documenting my experiences! Only 27 more days until we all fly up to New York for orientation! Did I mention time was flying by fast?
You were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only don’t let this freedom be an opportunity to indulge your selfish impulses, but serve each other through love.- Galatians 5:13

Peace be with you,
Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment