Saturday, September 6, 2014

YAVs Do "Tacky Tourist Day"

     Yesterday, all seven residents of 2305 W. Saunders Ave. explored the downtown area of San Antonio, TX, and I'm pleased to report: It was a blast!

     We've been living here for just under two weeks now, so we were definitely due for some time getting to know our city! Since my work at Divine Redeemer is walking distance for the house, I finally had a chance to experience the bus system, which I will admit was a little confusing. Luckily, I had people with me that are very experienced with how to get to and from downtown, but I'm adding "become familiar with the bus system" to my to-do list!

     I wasn't sure I realized how much of a tourist area San Antonio was, but everywhere we went, there were what I would definitely call "tourist attractions:" Texas shirts sold here! Everything about the Alamo! San Antonio Spurs merchandise! It was a little overwhelming, especially when we got swept into a few of the shops, but where else was I going to buy postcards to send all my friends?

     Regardless, through the mess, we did find our way to the Alamo, which I must admit was a little, as Tori put it, "underwhelming" simply because it was so much smaller that we anticipated. I was interesting to read the history though, especially since it had so much to do with how San Antonio came about.

     Eventually, we made our way to the Riverwalk, which is an amazing part of the city. We all agreed we'd have to come back here again for a night out on the town. All in all, the day turned out to be rather wonderful and just another reason I can add to why I'm very glad to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment