Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Work Begins

     After a restful Labor Day, the time came for our jobs to start up...

     I will admit that this morning was a bit of a challenge, but not in the way you'd expect. I didn't have to report to Divine Redeemer until 1:30 pm, and once the house was empty, with each member at their own respective sites, I was beginning to feel a little useless. (Luckily, not every day will be like this, but I am hoping to use my longer mornings to do something productive, like work out or study up on my Spanish.)

     Once I got to the church though, it was amazing how fast time flew!

     Hope and Ignacia are the women in charge of Peace Pals (where I'll be helping every Tuesday and Thursday.) When I arrived, they gave me a run-down of the afternoon and the expectations they have for me as well as a bit of advice, which was much appreciated. We walked the four blocks from Crockett Elementary with a train of 16 children. During this time, I tried to get to know a few of them, but it wasn't until I was talking to a second grader named Pablo that I realized not all of these children spoke English and come to find out that about a third of the children only speak Spanish...

     I will admit, this worried me a bit. For as many Spanish classes as I've had in my life, I still wasn't sure it was going to be enough to tutor these kids if I couldn't explain things well. I guess you could say I had my work cut out for me.

     When the first question came, my teacher instincts kicked in. I actually taught fifth graders decimal place value and second graders number lines, while reading directions all in Spanish! I ran a reading circle with a group of first graders, of which only half spoke English, and eventually I found myself speaking in Spanish to everyone, and they understood me, and I was proud!

     It was amazing to see that in the span of four hours, I actually built relationships with these kids to the point where they hugged me goodbye, and I am so glad to have had experience teaching to where I feel like these kids are going home not having the right answers, but knowing how to find them!

No comments:

Post a Comment